Running is not about physical strength, its all about mind. Especially the long run.
"The Body achieves, what the mind believes"Start your run today. Yes now. Think that you are running. Start your run in your mind. Start visualizing that you are crossing the miles stones one by one. Visualize from the Start. Feel the pleasure of completing each miles stone. Visualize till the finish line. No negative thoughts. Run your mind through the track. Your mind should complete the run first for you to begin the run. You are half way through.
Now get physically ready for the race. Race!!! Yes it is. Its the race between your mind, body and heart. At some point in time during the run, your body says i cant, your mind slides towards your body but your heart wishes to complete the run. Chase your body with your mind and follow the heart. You will be on the finish line.
Things to do before Race: [Only based on my experience]
If your run is in the early morning,
- Don't have a heavy dinner.
- Take rest, but don't be lazy
- Cut the nails in the toe if any
- Run as much times as you can, not physically but in your mind
- Take a deep sleep
- Hydrate as much as possible in the night before bed
- A lite meal / a piece of bread / an apple 2 hrs before the run
- Use the washroom before the start
- A must warm-up before start.
- Hydrate when needed, have little water, probably a 50 ml would do
- Keep counting, how much more to run not how much you have completed. eg) If you are running a 5k, once you complete 1 km keep moving thinking only 4 more to go.
- Try to keep your run in a same pace
- If you feel panting [out of breath], start watching your breath which helps you to keep your breath in control.
- One more way to forget the distance is to watch the steps of the one who is running in front of you and follow it.
- Never stop even if you cant keep moving forward, Just jog
- Even if you are the last person running, you are not the last. There are millions of people who are not running. You are far better than them.
- Complete the run, Don't forget to take a snap to cherish the moment later.